Darby Acres Farm & Darby Safari
Group Field Trips
Information, Rules, Policies
& Frequently asked questions.
Darby Acres Farm & Darby Safari are not open to the General Public.
A prepaid reservation is required
to visit our private property.
ALL SALES ARE FINAL; there are no refunds given.
Darby Acres Farm is a small family-run traveling zoo, started by husband and wife team, Dwayne and Jennifer; they named the "farm” after their daughter, Darby. Their mutual genuine love for animals found them adopting, re-homing and caring for many animals on their property; “This is our family’s labor of love, done strictly for the fun and the joy it brings us in working as a team and having such a great time teaching and learning together. We simply want to share the happiness of our wonderful animals with those who would like to meet them and enjoy their company as we do.”
* VERY IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ ALL INFORMATION! – Darby Acres Farm & Darby Safari are separate, PRIVATE, locations and are NOT at the same address. Our private gates remain closed, except for scheduled appointments. Please refer to your e-mailed appointment confirmation for the correct address to arrive at for your tour. Please do not google or use the internet to find the address for our Darby Safari location or you will end up at the wrong location. You must open your e-mail confirmation for "The Darby Acres Farm & Safari Rules, Policies & Address". If you arrive at the farm for a safari tour, you will be late to your tour! (*Refunds & Reschedules will not be given for late arrivals.)
* A prepaid reservation is required to visit our private property. We would like to be able to share our animals with everyone however we are no longer open to the public. By popular request, we offer an invitation to those that would like to experience the animals, with a pre-paid reservation, when animals and tour guides are available. A prearranged appointment is now necessary and required to visit our private property. *We kindly ask that you do not show up to our private property without a prepaid appointment. We could be caring for an animal in need, entertaining a scheduled event, working with an already scheduled pony ride or tour, etc. We regret that we will have to turn away anyone that arrives without a prearranged-prepaid, scheduled appointment. Thank you in advance for your understanding!
Child to Chaperone Ratio Requirements
Ages 0 to 4 years old = 2/1
Ages 5 years old - 7 years old = 3/1
Ages 8 years old - 11 years old = 5/1
Ages 12 years old - 17 years old = 8/1
Darby Acres Farm – Hutchinson Ln., Charlotte, NC, is the home to our farm animals including, but not limited to, Horse, Alpaca, Emu, Scottish Highland, Zebu, Water Buffalo, Donkey, Llama, Goats, Pigs, Sheep and more!
*If you purchase Darby Acres Farm feed buckets with your reservation, you will also be able to feed many of our farm animals in addition to petting them.
Darby Safari - Kelly Rd., Charlotte, NC is the home to our exotic animals including, but not limited to Kangaroo, Wallaby, Lemurs, Fennec Fox, African Crested Porcupine, Patagonia Cavy, Capybara, Zebra & more!
*At this time, feed buckets are not available for Darby Safari Field Trips and petting of exotic animals during the tour is limited to (1) animal that will be decided upon by the handler the day of the field trip.
Also available, with an additional add-on charge of $50,, is our exotic animal experience. We will choose (4) animals from Darby Safari, for guests to have an up-close encounter. Animals that may be included in the exotic animal encounter may include, but are not limited to Kangaroo, Wallaby, Brazilian Porcupine, Fennec Fox.
(Please note: Animals in the exotic animal encounter are subject to change without notice.)
* Field Trip appointments must be scheduled a minimum of 3 days prior to the field trip date by scheduling online, through our online scheduling software.
* Field Trips are based on daily availability.
* Field trip times can be scheduled beginning at 10:30am and must end by 4:00pm.
* Every visitor is required to provide Darby Acres Farm & Darby safari with a signed liability waiver to participate in any activity at the farm and safari.
* Please be courteous and arrive to start the tour on time! Your scheduled tour time may not be changed without a minimum of a 24-hour notice and must be approved by our scheduling department.
(Tour Guides are unable to make or reschedule tour appointments.)
* Pony Rides are not available with field trips.
* Credit Cards are NOT Accepted at the Farm or Safari.
* There is no outside food or drink sold on the property.
* There is no water fountain on the property.
* Please bring water for your group. We strongly recommend a large cooler with cups.
* No food or drinks allowed in the animal areas.
* Children ages 0-11 months are welcome at the FARM at no charge.
* There is a minimum age requirement of 5 years old for Darby Safari Field Trips.
* There is no smoking, alcohol, glass containers, or outside animals allowed on the farm grounds by visitors.
* We request that guests not arrive more than 10 minutes prior to their scheduled appointment time. If you arrive more than 10 minutes early, your tour guide may not be available. **If your tour guide is tending to an animal and is not present when you arrive, please text the tour guide number, listed on your reservation confirmation, "We are here". **Please be assured that your tour guide will be headed to greet you shortly.
* Please do not visit any area of the property (including the playground, animal areas, etc.,) until you have been checked-in by your tour guide. ABSOLUTELY NO guest is allowed to walk the property unsupervised. We ask that you inform everyone in your group to stay with the group AT ALL TIMES and not wander away from your group. We take this rule extremely seriously and will kindly ask any guest unable to follow this rule to leave the property. This is for the safety of both the guests and animals.
* Please be courteous and arrive to start the tour on time! While you will likely be able to meet-up with the group, if you arrive late, time missed cannot be made up. (*Refunds will not be given for late arrivals.)
* Your scheduled tour time may not be changed without a minimum of a 24-hour notice and must be approved by our scheduling department. (Tour-Guides are unable to reschedule any tours.)
* Please do not arrive early or late in hopes of joining another tour time.
* If you are late for your reserved private tour time, your tour length will be reduced by the amount of time you are late so that the next tour can start at their scheduled time.
* A final head count will be taken upon check-in. If the number of people in your group exceeds the number of people paid for in your reservation, you will be required to make payment in cash for the additional people in your group. Every person that steps foot on our grounds is required to have a paid reservation to join in one of our tours. (*Siblings ages 0-11 months are welcome at the FARM at no charge. All children 12 months and over will require a paid reservation at the FARM.)
*CREDIT CARDS ARE NOT ACCEPTED AT THE SAFARI OR THE FARM.
VERY IMPORTANT:EVERY VISITOR TO THE FARM OR SAFARI MUST SIGN A LIABILITY WAIVER, INCLUDING TEACHERS, CHAPERONES, & BUS DRIVERS. CHILDREN UNDER 18 WILL REQUIRE A WAIVER SIGNED BY THEIR LEGAL GUARDIAN. IF YOU WILL BE BRINGING CHILDREN TO THE FARM OR SAFARI, AND YOU ARE NOT THEIR LEGAL GUARDIAN, YOU MUST ARRIVE WITH A SIGNED WAIVER FROM THAT CHILD'S LEGAL GUARDIAN. LIABILITY WAIVERS ARE AVAILABLE TO BE PRINTED FROM OUR WEBSITE OR BY CLICKING HERE. THOSE THAT ARRIVE WITHOUT SIGNED WAIVERS WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO PARTICIPATE IN ANY FARM OR SAFARI ACTIVITIES. *THERE IS NO EXCEPTION TO THIS RULE.*
**NOTE: ONLY A WAIVER FROM THE CHILD'S LEGAL GUARDIAN WILL BE ACCEPTED. SCHOOL/FACILITY TEACHERS, COUNSELORS, ADMINISTRATORS, ETC, MAY NOT SIGN WAIVERS FOR LEGAL GUARDIANS. CHILDREN WITHOUT A FULLY COMPLETED WAIVER FROM THEIR LEGAL GUARDIAN WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO PET, FEED, TOUCH OR INTERACT WITH ANY ANIMALS. *THERE IS NO EXCEPTION TO THIS RULE.*
**NOTE: PLEASE DRESS APPROPRIATELY FOR A VISIT TO THE FARM AND/OR SAFARI **
Please keep in mind, when you are choosing your boots/foot attire and dressing yourself, and/or children, that you are visiting animal grounds. It is recommended that you check current weather conditions to help properly prepare for your visit. Comfortable closed toe shoes (Please NO Flip-Flops), sun block, insect repellent, layered clothing, rain-coat, hats, water cooler, water bottles, and hand wipes are some of the items that you may want to consider when preparing for your visit. There are no sidewalks or ramps located on property. Grounds consist of dirt, gravel, and mulched areas.
If there has been recent rain, it will likely be muddy or wet throughout the grounds; Don't forget your rain/mud boots!
*We recommend not wearing any attire that you are worried about getting dirty.
*Cancellation / Rain Policy: Should rain/inclement weather or any unforeseen circumstance arise, that would make for an unsafe environment, scheduled tours for the day will be cancelled and you will be contacted by our scheduling department to reschedule a tour for another available date within the next 12 months.
**If you are unable to attend your scheduled tour, you can reschedule by contacting our scheduling department at
704-930-3048 a minimum of 24 hours prior to your scheduled tour; If you do decide to reschedule, for any reason other than inclement weather, we will put your ticket purchase towards another available tour date within 12 months, and there will be a $10 cancellation charge that well be deducted from your reschedule redemption code value.
A new appointment date will be based on calendar availability.
Any cancellation of a rescheduled date, for any reason other than inclement weather, will forfeit reservation without a reschedule date.
If the tour has begun and rain has started…The tour will continue.
ALL SALES ARE FINAL. Absolutely NO CASH REFUNDS/REFUNDS OR EXCHANGES.
The management of Darby Acres Farm & Darby Safari reserves the right to cancel a scheduled tour at any time. The cancellation policy may be varied at management’s discretion under special circumstances.
* If you would like to cancel/reschedule due to inclement weather, you MUST call 704-930-3048, 2 hours prior to your scheduled tour time, and leave a voicemail with your name and tour time.
You will receive an e-mail, the next business day, with a reschedule redemption code.
**Please remember that if you need to cancel/reschedule the activity for any reason, other than inclement weather, a 24-hour notice is required, and there will be a $10 cancellation charge that well be deducted from the reschedule redemption code value.
Frequently asked questions about Darby Acres Farm & Darby Safari Field Trips.
How long does the field trip take? The length of each Field Trip will depend on the number of people in a group.
Tours take approximately 1 hour. Groups normally spend 1.5 hours on the property and 2 Hours if they have brought snack/lunch and would like to eat prior to their tour. Additional time should also be included if any add-on activities have been added to your groups reservation. The maximum time allotted for field-trip guests is 2 Hours.
*It is the responsibility of the group's chaperone(s) to supervise children during the lunch/snack time of the children.
We recommend that guests eat any food they bring prior to visiting the animals.
There is no water fountain on the property. Please bring water for your group. We strongly recommend a large cooler with cups. No outside food or drinks allowed in the animal areas.
EXAMPLE FOR 10:30am Tour Time for a group that has brought snack/lunch:
Arrive 10 minutes prior to tour time (10:20am) for check-in.
*Please Note: Gates will remained closed and not be opened for check-in until 10 minutes prior to your scheduled tour time.
10:30am - Eat snack/lunch/hydrate!
11:00am - Visit restroom prior to tour starting.
11:15am - 12:15pm - Farm Tour
12:15pm - Hand washing/restroom visit.
12:30pm - Departure
What is included with the Darby Acres Farm Field Trip? The field trip will include a walking tour of the farm with one of our tour guides. Tour Guides will introduce children to the animals. Children can pet most animals at the farm including, Horse, Alpaca, Mini Donkey, Pigs, Sheep, Goats and even a Camel! Most of our animals may be fed on your farm tour if you choose to purchase feed buckets. Feed buckets are available for purchase and are $4 per bucket. Your tour guide will let you know which animals can be fed. PLEASE DO NOT FEED OR ALLOW YOUR CHILDREN/STUDENTS TO FEED ANY EQUINE DURING YOUR VISIT WITH US.
What is included with the Darby Safari Field Trip? The field trip will include a walking tour of the safari with one of our tour guides. Tour Guides will introduce children to the animals. Darby Safari is not a “Petting Zoo”. Guests can see the exotic animal up close, however petting is limited to (1) animal that will be chosen by the handler the day of the field trip unless you choose the “Safari (4) Animals Encounter” Add-on. Safari feed buckets are not available for field trips.
Is there a wagon / hayride available for the tour or is the tour only walking? All Tours are "Walking" Tours. At this time we are unable to offer wagon / hay rides.
What if it rains? We operate rain or shine. If rain is in the forecast, we offer you the option to reschedule. If thunderstorms are forcasted for the day, we ask that you contact us by 9:00am on the day of your field trip to confirm.
What are the bathroom facility accommodations? There is 1 restroom available on the premises.
Do you have a water fountain? No. We recommend that you please bring a large cooler of water with cups for your group.
PLEASE DON'T FORGET YOUR WAIVERS
AND TO DRESS PREPARED FOR A VISIT TO THE FARM AND/OR SAFARI
If you have any other questions, please call our Scheduling Department.
Darby Acres Farm Scheduling Department: (704)930-3048
Scheduling Office Hours: (M-F) 9:00am – 12:00pm
Darby Acres Farm and Darby Safari
do not receive any outside funding.
We rely solely on the wonderful people who schedule tours,
traveling zoos, and their generous donations!
We are so grateful & thank you for your support!
Interested in giving? Please click HERE for more information!
Do you have out of town guests coming to visit?
Tell them about our apartment stay available at Darby Safari! Check it out at by clicking HERE!
We hope to see you soon!
ALL SALES ARE FINAL; there are no refunds given.